Sunday, September 23, 2012

No Excuses

We had back to school night this week. It's always interesting to see the parents of students you have. Without a doubt you can pick out the ones who are there to socialize with other parents, the ones who are determined to get their child into a "better" class, the ones who are just as lost as their child, and the ones who hope that their child has not embarrassed them yet. I'm always happy to hear the parents tell me how much their child is enjoying the class or how much they enjoy being able to see what we're up to on my website. It's amazing to think that when I was in school my teachers didn't have websites, they didn't post the homework online daily, or provide example videos when I didn't understand. I had to bring all my textbooks home and back to school, there were no online textbooks or practice tests. How did I survive? I do have to wonder if the abundance of technology accessible things is threatening the student's overall organization and memory skills. It's comforting to know that students have no excuses, " I forgot my book" - nope, it's online, "I didn't understand that example." - did you watch the video and try the step-by-step problems with answers?, "I forgot to write down the homework" - it's on the website. I guess the only excuse now is that they don't have the Internet at home. And even that gets squashed by the fact that all students have access to the Internet during study halls and free time at school. I guess there's no excuses anymore. What a time we live in.


Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Granola
Oven 300

3 cups quick oats
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons honey
pinch salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract






Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray. Set aside. Mix, in a large bowl, oats, raisins, cinnamon, salt, and brown sugar.











In a small bowl, whisk together oil, honey, and vanilla.


















Pour honey mixture into oat mixture, mix until everything is evenly coated. Spread evenly onto baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes (stirring every 10 minutes). Enjoy!

No comments: