Sunday, May 13, 2012

Seven Minutes

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there! We celebrated with brunch with my mother and grandmother and a picnic with my mother-in-law. Bailey woke me up with a lot of puppy kisses and a very nice card. She also decided to lay in front of the oven and "help" me make the frosting today!
  
My mother-in-law requested a chocolate layer cake with Seven Minute Frosting. I made my usual Chocolate Cake and used a whipped cream filling. Then I had to find the right recipe for the frosting. I found that this frosting has many different names (boiled icing, royal baking icing, meringue frosting). I found one that seems to be the best for mixing with a kitchenaid mixer. It tastes like a cross between whipped cream and marshmallow fluff.


Seven Minute Frosting
from bakedbree.com

1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup water
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 egg whites
pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla












In a saucepan combine the sugar and water with a pinch of cream of tartar.Make sure that when you are cooking the sugar that you do not stir the sugar mixture. It will cause the sugar to crystallize and you don’t want that to happen.Boil the sugar until it reaches 245 degrees.














Meanwhile, put the egg whites and a pinch of salt in the bowl of a mixer with the whisk attachment. Beat until the egg whites are peaked.
















Slowly pour the sugar syrup into the egg whites. I mean slowly, this sugar mixture is 245 degrees, you do not want it to splash.











Beat the frosting on high speed for about 7 minutes (hence the name seven minute frosting) or until the sides of the bowl cool down. The frosting will be light and fluffy.
Add the vanilla extract.















Once mixed frost cake as desired. *Somewhat messy to cut!

No comments: