Sunday, May 20, 2012

Nod to Summer

It's that time of year again..... Short shorts are coming down the hallway along with obnoxiously short skirts! Flip flops and sandals are being worn, even in the rain. Students are attempting to make it summer. They think "maybe if we dress like it is, it will come sooner." Despite their attempts we still have a little under a month to go. The college students however are out and enjoying their freedom, or the idea of finding that first job. My sister-in-law and cousin-in-law both graduated this week, one with a masters and one with a bachelors. My sister-in-law had a small graduation picnic to celebrate and asked if I would bake something (her words were "surprise me.") I decided to make these cupcake cones, a nod to Summer and the wish for warmer days.

Cupcake Cones

I started with my traditional chocolate cake recipe (yes, I've been using that a lot lately). You could use any cake/cupcake recipe or just boxed cake mix (if you must). Instead of cupcake liners I used sugar cones.













To secure cones I used an upside down aluminum lasagna pan with holes cut out. I baked them for about 20-25 minutes. Once done I allowed cupcakes to cool.
















I frosted with my usual Magnolia Buttercream Frosting Recipe using a star tip. I added sprinkles for decoration.

No comments: