Sunday, September 4, 2011

We've got the Power!

We survived Hurricane Irene with only a few tree limbs broken and a very messy yard of sticks and leaves. Surprisingly enough, we only lost power for about a minute. We were very fortunate to have power this week. Most of our families went without power for quite a long time. Unfortunately, some people still do not have power back. I had professional development days on Tuesday and Wednesday of last week. However, school for the students will not start until Tuesday of this week. It's sad to say we've already had two "snow" days and school hasn't even really started!

My administration classes start this Wednesday. I received an email from the teacher of my Monday class with detailed lists of assignments due before our first class, including five chapters of a book I have not even purchased. I guess I better get on that!

One of my friends from high school, Laura, got married yesterday. It was a beautiful outdoor wedding, complete with tents, fireworks, a butterfly release, a beautiful bride, and great cake! It was a great day for it and I was so happy to have been a part of their special day.

Not too much going on in terms of the house. I tried a yellow paint in my office, not quite sold on it yet. I'll have to take some pictures of it. It's a bit more yellow than I had anticipated. The good thing is that I only paid $5 for the paint. Has anyone else every shopped at the clearance/mistake rack at Lowes or Home Depot? If you're not super picky about a color it's a great deal!

Strawberry Bread
from mybakingaddiction.com
Oven 350

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups strawberries, rinse, dried and chopped







Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan.With electric mixer cream butter, sugar and cream cheese until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Mix in vanilla.















In separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Blend flour mixture with butter mixture just until blended.

















 Add buttermilk and only stir until just combined; do not over mix.

 
 Carefully fold in strawberries. Dough mixture will be thick. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 to 60 minutes

No comments: