Thursday, August 5, 2010

What's that NOISE?!?!?

So, I'm in my new house enjoying coffee and checking emails at 9 am this morning. Little did I know that I would soon have no power, be in a tornado warning zone, and be practically deaf from the siren telling me that I'm in a tornado zone! It was thundering, lightening, and raining buckets outside. I look out my window (I know, I know, stay away from the windows!) and I see my elderly neighbor outside with his hands over his ears walking around his yard. All I could think was that this man has lived here for over 40 years so he must know what he's doing...I hope he knows what he's doing....oh, please don't let him get hit or carried away by the tornado....I was waving to him to go inside but he probably thought I was just some crazy woman.

By 11 am we had power back and the sun was shining. And yes, my neighbor is okay. So that was my little adventure.

I Should Have Worn My Red Heels For This Red Velvet Cake

Oven:350

1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 ounces red food coloring
2 tablespoons cocoa (heaping)
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vinegar


Spray 3-4 8 inch cake pans with nonstick spray. Using electric mixer, cream together shortening, sugar, and eggs. In small bowl mix together food coloring and cocoa to make a paste. Add to creamed mixture. Alternate adding buttermilk, flour, and salt. Add vanilla. In a small bow add baking soda to vinegar and blend into batter. Pour into prepared cake pans.Bake 24-30 minutes.

No comments: