Sunday, August 26, 2012

Extension?

Sadly, my Summer has ended. It's back to school for me. I am excited to start teaching two new classes and many new students. It will be my first year not teaching freshman or Algebra 1. I know that most teachers dread that class, but I like to think that I had mastered it. I would have gladly taught it this year, but instead I'll be teaching more seniors.

In an effort to extend the Summer (no, it didn't work) my dessert this week is.....

Strawberry Shortcake Cake
from marthastewart.com

Oven 350

6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved


Butter a 10-inch pie plate. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl. Put butter and 1 cup sugar in mixer with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low; mix in egg, milk, and vanilla.


Gradually mix in flour mixture. Transfer batter to buttered pie plate.











Arrange strawberries on top of batter, cut sides down and as close together as possible. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries. Bake cake 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.




Bake until cake is golden and firm to touch, about 1 hour. Let cool in pie plate on wire rack. Cut into wedges and serve with whipped cream.

No comments: