Sunday, December 19, 2010

Whiplash.....

My week did not go as planned. I had plans to meet Kate and Dave at a new Thai restaurant on Friday and was just about at the highway exit when...WHAM?!?!?!?
My back car window flew open, my sunglasses, gps, and anything not tied down went flying, and all I could hear was the rush of cars going by with speeds 65mph and over. I looked back and saw a totaled SUV and two girls running across the highway. I somehow drove to the side and stopped the car. I couldn't tell what the damage was, and I was shaking as I dialed 911. I didn't get out of the car, I've never been in such shock in my life.

When the trooper got there he said my car was drivable and that I was lucky. My wonderful husband got a ride from work and was there to drive me home. I was upset at what happened to the car ( it will need a new bumper, the frame is very bent, and a bunch of other things are scratched and dented). However, the important thing was that I was okay. On Saturday, I went to an emergency room because my neck and shoulders hurt so much. They gave me some pain killers and said to take it easy. My husband just keeps telling me "This is what we have insurance for." Thank goodness!

My baked good today is quick and requires minimal work. I am taking it easy, after all.

Coffee-Cocoa Cake
from SweetCakes No.31

Oven 350

10 tblsps very soft unsalted butter
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp table salt
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tblsps unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups good-quality brewed coffee, cooled to warm

Generously spray 9-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray. Cream butter and sugar until smooth, about 1 minute.



Blend in eggs one at a time, mixing just until incorporated, about 20 seconds. Mix in the vanilla and salt. Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder. Add to batter.



Pour in the coffee (we had leftover hazelnut coffee, so that's what I used).



Gently whisk the ingredients until the ingredients until the mixture is smooth and mostly free of lumps.



Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly with a rubber spatula.



Bake until a skewer comes out clean, 40 to 43 minutes. Set the pan on a rack to cool for 20 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edges of the pan, invert the cake onto the rack, and remove from pan.



Serve immediately or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 5 days.

No comments: