Saturday, October 9, 2010

Substitutes

I have had some crazy substitute teachers in my classroom. Any time my co-teacher was out at Old School I prayed that I'd have a sub who actually did something, something helpful that is. I've had ones who sat in the back of the room, ones who texted during class, and ones who just wouldn't shut up. There had been good ones, too. You just remember the bad ones more.

My first experience with a substitute for my co-teacher at New School was great! He came to see me at the beginning of the day to see if I needed anything copied or corrected before class. Then he asked me if I liked baking and cooking....yes.....Was he a stalker??? NO, just the father of the Editor In Chief of Food Network Magazine!!!!! He then hands me a copy of the magazine and tells me all about his family. Needless to say, I subscribed to the magazine when I got home. Wait, you think that's it? Nope, it gets better......he's a retired high school math teacher! Baking/Cooking and Math!I promptly emailed my co-teacher and informed her that if she wanted to be out again it was okay with me. She tried to convince me that she picked him based on our compatibility, wouldn't that be nice?

Peanut Butter Chip Brownies
adapted from Hershey's recipe for peanut butter chip cookies
Oven 350
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-1/2 sticks butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sugar or 1 cup Splenda Sugar Blend
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
10-oz. package Peanut Butter Chips

In bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. In mixer blend together butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; blend well.



Gradually add flour mixture. Stir in peanut butter chips.



Spray a 9 x 11 baking dish with nonstick spray. Spread mixture evenly in dish.



Bake in oven for about 40 minutes (I would check after 30 and then continue if needed).



Cool completely and then cut.

No comments: