Sunday, October 3, 2010

Reading Rainbow and Friends

An eighth of the school year is over...it went by so fast! This week was a long one, not so much because of teaching, but because of everything else going on. My masters classes are not what I had expected, they seem more like Reading Rainbow, at times.



For example, for the first hour of class on Wednesday night my teacher read children's books to us(ie Stone Soup, Alexander and the No Good Horrible Day, etc)as examples of how to read to the class. Although all very good books for K-5 graders, I will not be reading them to my high school math classes. It would be more helpful to me if I was in classes with only high school teacher "wannabes" (yes, I am the only actual teacher in my classes) instead of pre-k and elementary teacher "wannabes."

On a good note, I got to visit with Kate and Dave! I have missed them SO MUCH! We had a great time over dinner and drinks. We got caught up on funny stories and some much needed venting. I can't wait to see them again!

Pumpkin "As you Like it" Bread

Oven: 350
2 cups canned pumpkin
3 cups sugar*
1 cup water
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon**
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves

*You may substitute 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce for 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup oil
** You can substitute 3 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice for cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves
***You can add a variety of things to this bread. Some ideas: 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup walnuts, 1/2 cup pecans, 1 cup mini chocolate chips, etc

In mixer combine pumpkin, sugar, water, oil, and eggs. Blend well.



In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices. Stir together and gradually add to pumpkin mixture and beat until smooth. If you are adding any additions (raisins, nuts, etc) fold in now.



Spray two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. Evenly divide batter between two pans. I sprinkled walnuts on top of the bread with raisins and nuts in it.





Bake 60-70 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10-15 minutes. Invert breads onto cooling rack.



Serve plain, with butter, or try the cream cheese frosting from my previous post (Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies).

No comments: