Sunday, April 15, 2012

Yellow Roses

My grandmother turned 88 years old today. This is quite an accomplishment for anyone, but for her it's truly a great feat. She has lost the love of her life and continues her battle with cancer. Last year she requested a pink birthday party. This year she wanted yellow, lots of yellow. We set the tables up in the formal again and put a big vase of yellow roses in the middle. Grandma had very specific requests for the menu this year (BBQ chicken, deconstructed salad, rice pilaf, zucchini and squash, eggroll appetizers, and the cake). 



Cake request: A three layer chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling, vanilla buttercream frosting and yellow roses on top. I used an old recipe for Chocolate Cake and my usual Magnolia vanilla buttercream. I watched a bunch of videos on how to create buttercream roses. It was a learning process but I definitely mastered it. Quite proud of myself and my yellow roses. I'm actually looking forward to making more of them.


It's back to work for me after a much deserved week off. Let the countdown to Summer begin!

No comments: