Sunday, March 20, 2011

Losing time

I don't know how anyone else felt, but the time change hit me hard on Monday. You never realize how much you miss that one hour until Monday morning! It was a long day for me, a faculty meeting and class at night, so I couldn't wait to get home and go to bed. Another thing that has me losing sleep is the NCAA basketball championship games. My bracket is not doing quite as well as I would have hoped.

St. Patrick's Day has come and gone...no green bagels for us but we did have Guinness Stew and Corned Beef and Cabbage. We got to enjoy a great parade and see plenty of bagpipers and Irish step dancers. I love being Irish, especially in March! We even tried a new breakfast place called Kelley's Deli. Very Irish and very good! Highly recommended.

Also, I just finished a great book by Hank Warren called It Simply Must Be Said. It felt like I was simply talking to a colleague, rather than reading a book. Teachers will appreciate this book!

                        
Oatmeal Rum-Raisin Cookies
adapted from Sunmaid.com
Oven 350
                                                          
3/4 cup softened butter or margarine
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
1 cup raisins(soak in 1/2 cup rum overnight)




Beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, milk, egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.

















Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix well.











Stir in oats, raisins and nuts, if using.
















Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Bake12 to 15 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets.

Cool on wire racks.Makes 3 dozen cookies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I second the recommendation for Kelley’s Deli- I’m thankful that it’s in Westerly and not Groton because otherwise I would probably want to go every weekend.

The Guinness stew and oatmeal rum raisin cookies were both awesome! I even sent a few cookies to a colleague in LA in heat sealed evidence pouches- she hasn’t responded that she received them so now I’m worried… did they get seized by Customs and eaten by the agents or the dogs? ;)

Happy St. Patrick’s Day everybody!

Love-
Pat