Sunday, February 27, 2011

Reading and Recommending

Has anyone else noticed that the week goes by so much faster when you're off from work? I always have so much to do and the week is always so jam packed. Plus, this week I had to work on a presentation for grad school due Monday. Overall, I had a good week off and got to see a lot of friends and family.

I was also able to finish the new book "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua. I loved it! It was so interesting to hear her side of American education and parenting. Highly recommended!

My friend, Jenny, asked me to recommend some breakfast places on the blog. My husband and I like to try out breakfast places on the weekends and we think it's a good way to explore new areas. This weekend we drove to Charlestown, RI and visited Dave's Coffee. Great coffee, great atmosphere, and we loved the muffins.


Lemon Bars
 from Bakerella.com


Crust:
1 cup butter
1 3/4 cup flour
2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar (plus more for dusting)


Topping:
1 1/2 cup plain sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup lemon juice






Grease and flour a 9 X 13 pan

To make crust:
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and confectioner’s sugar. Cut in butter until combined and crumbly.
















Press mixture into bottom of pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.













To make topping:
While crust is baking, prepare topping. In a larger bowl, add sugar, flour, and baking powder. Then add slightly beaten eggs and lemon juice. Mix well and pour on top of warm baked crust.














Bake for 20-25 minutes. When cool, dust with confectioner’s sugar and refrigerate. Cut into bars and enjoy them cold.










No comments: